Monday, September 22, 2008

The Upside....

Greetings,

My children will be so pleased to know I have catapulted into the age of Blogging and technology. My name is Carla, I have four amazing children Griffin 25, Cori 23, Kylie 19 and Ethan 17. I smile as I was typing Griffin and Cori's ages. It wasn't to many years ago I wondered if I would ever be out of diapers, sleepless nights, play groups, potty training and sibling rivalry which only continues with the next two in the family. I smile because I have come to appreciate how good every minute of life can be and on the other hand how short our time on earth really is.

I could and should write a book called "The 10 stupid things I did when I was 39". Something tells me it has the potential to became a national best seller...With that being said...I have been a life long student of this educational process called life. All in all it has been a great ride. If I were to complain about anything...it would be how quickly the days, months and years pass. Sometimes I wish I could hold out my hand to stop the quick progression. Since that won't happen I am learning to enjoy the journey instead of planning my stay at my destination.

My mother is a great source of strength to me. She is an elect lady. She has always been willing and able to handle the many challenges life has thrown her way. Her life is one great opportunity she has capitalized on time and time again. I smile as I share with you, her desire to eradicate warn and frayed under ware from female humanity. She always asked me prior to my leaving the house if I had on clean under ware. I was a Senior in High School on a snowy winter night in Aberdeen South Dakota when I was in a car accident. As I was being transported into the waiting ambulance, I remembered how lucky I was to have worn clean under ware out that night. My mom was waiting for me at the door of the emergency room...she look at me and then asked that tell tale question....I could look at her and answer honestly....CLEAN UNDER WARE.

My mom's kindness and generosity left imprints on many in our small community. Her charity never needed a reason or confirmation. She just acted.

As my mom's mind drifts into her past, I feel tears and sadness that this great women is now in the sunset of her life. There are so many times I want to call her to tell her about my day, feel her hug and encouragement for pressing forward. She was an ordinary girl, born in Ogden Utah. She lived an extraordinary life. The more I look back, the more I am thankful for my mom's legacy.

I would love when she would sit down at our piano and play "Alice Blue Gown". A song she still holds dear. A couple of weeks ago my older brother started to record her history, asking her questions and taping her responses. I was touched in many ways by hearing what she holds so dear. She commented to me on one of our outings, her greatest treasure was her family. She told me, the interest she has earned on her lifetime investment are her children and grandchildren..her comment was not a bad return...

I am blessed. The more I let go of the little things the more I see the hand of God around me. I am learning to have faith and believe that life does work out even better than we can imagine.

The upside...I have long put away the diapers, picked up the toys, shared my last car pool as I have entered into a new season in my life. As my children continue to live their own lives, I play a duel role in their lives as teacher and more importantly student. My children have taught me the most valuable lessons on forgiveness, charity, unconditional love and family.

I welcome these new years as my youngest children get ready to leave the nest. What a great time in my life to develop my talents and gifts.

I would like to look back at my experiences and say.....I took the road less traveled...and that by far has made all of the difference.

Carla

No comments: