Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Count your many blessings....name them one by one..

My day was off to a fairly regular start when the first two calls came around 10:30 am. I was in a meeting but felt impressed to check my phone. I saw Cori's text message, "MOM CALL ASAP!" from Brett's phone. I felt immediate panic as I could not get them to answer or to respond by text message. When it comes to your kids...there is no time like the present to get the answers you are desperately seeking...so I called Cori's store. When I asked for her, they told me they would page for her. When she didn't pick up, I then asked to have Brett paged. (A huge benefit is having Cori and Brett working in the same store.) Brett did not respond either....Then a voice spoke...May I ask who is calling...I replied Cori's mom....can you please help me. Then the dreaded words no parent ever wants to hear...."Cori had a accident this morning at the store and is on the way to the emergency room".....I mustered the courage to ask what had happened....she replied..."Cori cut herself with a box cutter on her leg and by the looks of her cut, she would need stitches."...... Then a faint relief came over me....stitches.....on her leg.....

Memories flooded my mind of the time Cori had ventured down a large hill on a scooter one Sunday afternoon.....Cori was always my child who feared nothing...especially speed...as she raced down that hill she lost control and took a nasty spill and had a quiet neighborhood in an uproar as those sitting outside enjoy the afternoon saw her careening out of control towards a mail box and curb. When the phone call came, I was told to expect the worst...my heart stopped beating for a moment as I tried to summon the courage that only comes when your child is hurt. As I approached the scene...I was taken back by the large crowd of those attending to Cori. A very kind woman had quickly covered her chin which was completely split open with a wash cloth. As she assured Cori all would be well. I was in a state of panic, shock and disbelief.. I offered a quiet prayer as quickly loaded Cori into the van. As we drove the hospital I was feeling sick just looking at the damage that had been done. Would she have scars? Was her chin fractured? so many questions.....

While I was trying to keep Cori calm and comfortable a peace came over both of us. Her dad came to give her a blessing. A blessing of comfort, healing and peace. The minute he laid his hands on her head...she was completely relaxed and calm. As I contemplated that experience today.....I stopped to take stock in all of my blessings....counting each of them one by one.....The Lord has been most gracious in blessing my children with good health, strength, love for each other, open minds, unconditional love, each with a great sense of humor, a strong belief that anything is possible, looking for the good in others, educational opportunities, great friends..and on and on.....The countless blessings that out weigh the adversity.

Then my phone rang...it was Cori....as she retold of her unfortunate experience....she focused on the blessings.....she was ok...and she would adjust to life with 5 new stitches...she was going to finish her day back at the store...She is a fighter...never gives up...on anything or more importantly anyone. Cori is an amazing woman...I am so proud of her. She was lucky to find the man of her dreams early on. Brett and Cori make a great team....I am so blessed to call them both my kids....

Am I lucky? or am I blessed..... I AM BLESSED....and lucky.....I have it all......

Tomorrow I travel back home...to Salt Lake. I love Salt Lake and the majestic Wasatch Front. As Ethan and I are driving....he will be sleeping and I will be counting my blessings....

To each of you......may you have the desires of your heart, health and peace in your families and safety in your travels....

Carla

No comments: