Sunday, June 7, 2009

Celebrations....

Today we gathered as family and friends to help Marty K celebrate his birthday. It was an afternoon filled with family, friends, great food, great conversations poolside, a ping pong tournament, great music, birthday candles, presents, cake, amazing cheesecake...(from the Cheesecake Factory), singing, blowing out candles, laughing and counting blessings.

I was glad Ethan, Kylie, Evan and I were invited and able to attend. As I watched everyone interacting, talking, discussing, sharing advice, stories from the past and taking in a gorgeous Sunday afternoon...I realized how symbolic celebrations are..There are a couple of main ingredients that make celebrations grand. 1). A great guest list. 2). The perfect location (poolside in this case). 3). A fabulous menu (Marty K never skimps on the food). 4). A location (like the Kurtz home) that is warm, inviting, welcoming and no one ever wants to leave.

As I was coming home tonight I was reflecting on how much I love to celebrate! There are so many opportunities in our day to stop, pause, reflect and enjoy the numerous reasons to celebrate. I love the joyous occasions of success, triumph, accomplishment....which can translate into....the perfect day, a great compliment, a birthday, an engagement, a marriage, an anniversary, having a baby, a new house, new job, overcoming a personal obstacle, the perfect weight, entertaining in my home, oh Henry bars, Pico De Gallo, the holidays, a feeling of inner peace, mending a relationship fence, enjoying the perfect evening in the desert, a beautiful sunset, a thunderstorm, a hallmark card, that surprise phone call, a hot shower, finding the perfect accessories, a great book, sleeping in, popcorn, a clean car, the feeling of rain on my face, perfectly painted finger nails, dinner at a new restaurant, music from the 70's, taking a personal inventory of all that is good, blessings received, prayers that have been answered, knowing my Heavenly Father loves me, the whisperings of the spirit, having faith to know the whys will be explained at a later date, understanding opposition can be your friend, a hug, a touch and knowing I belong.

I am grateful for the ties that bind my family, my dear friends and my beliefs. Much like Clarence there isn't a day that goes by that every time I hear a bell ring, I know that a sweet angel has received their wings.

There is always a celebration in full swing....

Thank you again....Kurtz Family.....

No comments: