Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Character, Communication and the Beach...

I had a chance phone call Tuesday afternoon, not only did this call take me completely by surprise I found myself evaluating my feelings on character, communication, acceptance, love and understanding. The call was from Evan....Evan and Kylie have been dating since January. I found myself at times feeling very closed off and even distant from wanting to really get to know Evan. Like every relationship there have been ups, downs, tears, laughter, planning, talking about the future and spending time really getting to know each other. As a mother of a beautiful young daughter my hope, dream and wish for her has always been to find her prince charming, the man of her dreams that will help her fill the measure of her creation.

This past week has been filled with tears, frustrations, relationship fears and physical distance between Kylie and Evan. The decisions that face these two are life changing, scary and exciting all at the same time. I have shared of my concerns with both of them as I have watched their relationship grow and evolve.

I was simply not prepared to have Evan call me, dig deep into the recesses of his heart, share his deepest feelings, thoughts and plans for the future with Kylie which was no easy conversation to have with me. Yet there we were....having a very poignant and emotional conversation. As I was listening very intently I also placed myself in his shoes. The depth of my feelings was overwhelming. The tears were free falling as I listened to him. I came to understand in one precious moment just how much we both love Kylie.

I was so touched by Evan's sincerity and courage. I am humbled by his gracious nature, his willingness to look past my many weaknesses and imperfections without judgment. Our conversation as raw and truthful as it was....has created a trust and respect on all sides while opening the door to greater communication, understanding, acceptance and love.

I am grateful for the tender mercies of my Savior. His willingness to always stand in the gap for me, even when I can't muster the faith or strength to stand on my own. I am grateful for continued opportunities to stretch, grow and work to develop Christ like attributes...like grace, compassion, wisdom, patience, gratitude, long suffering, forgiveness, unconditional love and service which at times feel uncomfortable and most difficult for me to embrace...A fact of my mortality, yet I am so grateful to see and feel his presence around me daily through the goodness of humanity that each of us possess. Random acts of love, kindness, charity, compassion and tenderness that are within my reach every day....He is there cheering me on...supporting me and sustaining me even when life's finish line seems well outside of my reach.

Its amazing how much you can learn when your daughter is at the beach....you answer your phone....and you are willing to see another in a pure light....a light that allowed his character to shine through. Thank you Evan...proof positive....you can teach an old yet cosmopolitan dog new tricks....

Sweet dreams Prince Evan....and somewhere close to the beach is his princess.....

I love you both...

Mom

1 comment:

Brett and Em Randall said...

shut up!! he called you!! what a stud! i wanna hear details.