Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Keeping your options open.....

Tonight Kylie and I met up with my Mom and Patty Jones at Golden Spoon for a frozen yogurt. They had just finished getting nails and toes done. My mom is very persnickety about keeping her nails and toes in tip top condition. She was thrilled to see Kylie and I, the four of us sat down in the middle of ciaos to enjoy a yogurt and great conversation being lead by a great teacher.

My mom's motto has always be preparedness. She never thought twice about stocking up on towels, underwear, luggage, books, candles, tweezers, magnifying mirrors....and of course movie size boxes of DOTS. As the conversation turned towards Kylie and her seriously dating Evan, my mom decided it was time to stop and focus on getting Kylie a ~Hope Chest~. I'm not sure about you....but I gave up any hope for my chest years ago...and Kylie was feeling a lot the same tonight. With three older and much wiser women sitting around Kylie we all decided what she really needed tonight was sage advice, documented with real life dating experiences. Each of us stepped up to the mic and shared what we felt were profound experiences of love, dating and marriage. Our laughter over took Golden Spoon. Grama Mannes in her profound wisdom told Kylie what she really needed was to pick out some towels...whatever color she wanted and they would be monogramed. Grama said...Let's have your initials KS (Kylie Schmidt) put on the towels...and go ahead and leave your options open for the time being, we can always have his initials put on later.....The four of us laughed so hard we cried....Just like my mom....she always begins with the end in mind....

Just like my mom...always keeping her options open and teaching yet another profound life lesson over a frozen yogurt. Isn't' that what life is really all about...Learning to keep your options open....or maybe even open to the realm of possibilities. I've experienced first hand just how magical life can be....just how smooth the rough spots can get and when you least expect it....the answer to a prayer, the confirmation of your decision, your knowing you are on the right path, its like the universe is conspiring for you, with you, in your favor...it's the planets aligning perfectly, the tide knowing when its time to come in, it's your life unfolding just the way it is suppose to.

I treasure those moments when I am called upon to teach, guide, listen and offer up my perspective with my children. I believe those are called ~Kodak Moments~...those tender experiences that draw us closer as individuals and more importantly families. As a single mother I can honestly say....I have become a professional at keeping my options open. I've learned that love does truly conquer all, forgiveness is a gift, the best things in life are free, great music can change your mood, Sonic Happy Hour is a spiritual experience, Jack in the Box will do in a pinch, there are no strangers among us...just friends we haven't met, the right job always materializes ..I am constantly learning, growing and evolving, my door is always open, there is nothing better than late night conversations with my kids, money can never by happiness, chips and salsa are a start for world peace....Faith always wins....kindness cures the blues, walking a mile in someone else's shoes usually gives way to huge blisters, first impression are usually wrong, you never know anyone until you've had the opportunity to be in their home...

Tonight I am right with my mom....The scenic view of life is breathtaking....when you decide its worth keeping your options open.

Carla

2 comments:

Brett and Em Randall said...

i love the way you write, and of course the things you write about. so inspiring and positive. i hope i can always keep my options open and accept what comes my way.

Jenni said...

Hooray! You have a blog! It will be fun to be able to see what's going on in your life. Feel free to check out my blog as well. There are also links to the blogs of all my other family members! Man, isn't the internet great?