Monday, July 6, 2009

How Great is the Worth of One Soul?

The passing of Michael Jackson continues to be news worthy in every mode of communication possible. Twitter, Internet, Face Book, My Space, TV, Radio, I-Tunes and daily conversations at home, work, with friends, at lunch..where ever....Michael Jackson's influence spans over 30 years, his trademark white sequined glove, white socks and million dollar smile can be seen and heard everywhere. His death as affected each of us...

Michael Jackson is one person who decided early in life to discover and develop his God given talents to entertain and create music. His lyrics proclaim love, charity, change and a world of hope, his music timeless. Feel good, foot tapping, finger snapping melodies that you can't stop til you've had enough...for most of us...there is never enough ~Thriller~, Billy Jean~, Man in the Mirror~Beat It~, Rock with you,~ and on and on.... He was one person who made a huge difference in all of our lives. He lived big...his death tragic....his memory will be timeless.

My name is Carla Mannes, although I will never entertain millions with music and dance, my influence will be carried down through generations of family and time which is priceless. I am a single mother of (4) two boys, two girls....I am one person who has made a conscious choice to discover and develop my God given gifts and talents. My relationship with my Savior has also experienced ups, downs, periods of closeness and periods of separation. Yet he walks along side of me daily to cheer me on...lift me when my spirits are blue, comfort me when I feel overwhelmed, forgotten and lost, he loves me perfectly. He knows me intimately...he has created my strengths, hand picked my weaknesses and understands how great the worth of my soul. He has blessed me with the ability to provide financially, spiritually, emotionally for my children. He has blessed with an enormous book of remembrance...treasured teaching moments, one on one time with each of my children, many late night conversations, first dates, first dances, first loves....lots of hugs, loves, tears, laughter, joy...every emotion possible to feel and experience. I have succeeded....with my children.....and I have accomplished this largely on my own....

My influence is felt today in my 4 absolutely amazing children. As the years passed I have grown to treasure and cherish my experiences as a single mom. After years of questioning myself, wondering if I really did measure up, was I strong enough to survive, feeling much judgement from many....I am confident it saying.... Christopher Robin was right...

You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. - Christopher Robin to Pooh

Not only have I survived...I have flourished...I took a truck load of lemons and made gallons of lemonade...I have laughed much, cried more and have learned to embrace life, and love who I am...I am courageous, I am strong and I am super smart.... I look at each of my children who are loving, kind, compassionate, driven, intelligent, witty, clever, intentional, self made, honest and dedicated to making their world a better place. My influence in their lives runs deep and is far reaching. I am first a mom, second a spiritual leader in my home, a friend, a confidant, a cheerleader, a tutor, a nurse, a short order cook, a decorator, chauffeur, event planner a mother who loves each of her children unconditionally, is open to learning new things, forgiving, kind, compassionate, driven and intentional.

As I have pondered (D&C 18:10, 15–16). "The worth of souls is great in the sight of God. …

“And if it so be that you should labor all your days in crying repentance unto this people, and bring, save it be one soul unto me, how great shall be your joy with him in the kingdom of my Father!

“And now, if your joy will be great with one soul that you have brought unto me into the kingdom of my Father, how great will be your joy if you should bring many souls unto me!”

Our Father in Heaven gets...how great each of us are...individually and collectively....He has sent each of us down here with a specific mission and time frame. Each of us is famous in our own right...each of us is creating a life story, posterity and history that we will ultimately leave behind to those who carry on our names. Our influence and examples are timeless and eternal. Each of us is responsible to write our own chapter....revise what isn't working....re-write and try to perfect our characters and more importantly our souls. It is impossible to assist anyone along our path who is in need of help, if we can't make the time to improve ourselves.

I believe we are all braver than we think, stronger than we seem and smarter than we think individually and collectively.

I express my profound gratitude for understanding my role and place in my Father's kingdom. My wish....for each of us to take the time to be a lot kinder, more patient, more giving, more understanding, more loving...bring more of our brothers and sisters to understand their role in this eternal quest....individually and collectively...there is strength in the number 1.....


Carla

2 comments:

heidi lou said...

Hi, I've been a bit of a blog lurker but I just wanted to thank you for your thoughts and uplifting posts. Have a great day!

Brett and Em Randall said...

love this post. the worth of one soul is great! im glad i know you. love and miss you!