Saturday, January 23, 2010

Women supporting Women...

While the rains came and the winds were a howling... I was able to take a day off..from my normal schedule..so I pampered myself... I slept in... which for me is a treat, a delicious feeling of self care and renewal. As I was waking up I could hear the rain laughing, falling and making the joyous sounds of free fall dropping from an angry dark sky...as I enjoy the sounds of the rain, my body was telling me a delightful herbal tea would be a nice addition to an already lazy day. I grabbed my robe and slippers and made my way to my kitchen... Once I was up and moving it was easy to start multitasking in making a little something to eat, while flipping on the dryer, folding clothes and taking a moment to sit down and enjoy the warmth of my tea cup between my hands. As I was sitting in my down filled chair with my feet up sipping my tea.... I reflected the great blessings of my life... I was sitting in my home which is beautiful, warm, clean, furnished in my "eclectic style" with smells of clove bud and cinnamon filling each room with warmth and fragrance. I have food to eat, clean clothes to wear, a hot shower that beckons me daily.. I am pursuing my dreams of completing my college education. I am in new season in my life, with only one child left at home, my life is filled with new opportunities that are now within my reach.

As I watch the TV coverage of Haiti.. my heart is heavy, I watch the video coverage, still photo's, I hear miraculous stories of survival, new life, perseverance and compassion. My heart is sick as I have watch those who have died, lining the streets, images of mass graves, little ones who's lives were cut short. I read about Sandra Bullock, Brad Pit and Angelina Jolie, Leonardo DeCaprio giving so generously. I watch and hear of George Clooney organizing a Tele-thon to raise money and awareness to the enormous need of those suffering in Haiti. I wonder why this level of humanitarian effort is not felt everyday in our country, let along our communities.

With unemployment levels staggering in our own back yard, many I personally know are losing their homes as they struggle with financial ruin, marriages crumbling, broken hearts, shattered dreams, a feeling of complete and utter loss. As I talk to those who's lives are being profoundly changed... I feel there is much we all can do to lighten the emotional, financial and spiritual loads are sisters carry. Can you imagine a community where everyone of us works collectively to enhance the lives of those around us. Women helping women.. working together in a spirit of accomplishment not competition... We as sisters can change the landscapes of our communities. I am a firm believer of the power of one... teamed with the power of others makes for a strong unbroken chain of women who not only love each other, they love their families, love and serve in their respective communities, understand the profound nature of unconditional acceptance, love and service.

Just think...right inside the walls of our own homes, outside our front doors there are endless opportunities for us to make a difference every day... In an individual way... Once small act of kindness, love, charity can and will change the lives of those around us...

This week I challenge you.... Go ahead and make someones day... Smile, interact with your families, friends, neighbors, engage in random acts of kindness for those who you don't know, who really are in great need....

I understand the power of the little things! Go and report back! Share your experiences... Power in motion!

1 comment:

moe-tif said...

yes...yes...YES...you write what the world is starving for...thank you Carla...i will take on that challenge you threw out...proudly and with much joy...

thank you!