Saturday, February 13, 2010

"Sugar and Spice and Everything Nice!"

Ethan, Kylie and I went into Thursday with "Great Expectations"! Cori my daughter who is expecting her 1st baby was scheduled for a 2nd Ultrasound. We all made our predictions on the sex of the baby...some of us were on the blue side, while others were positive that pink would prevail. Then in a bold statement...my son in law, Brett laid his hand on table.. he proudly declared his prediction was absolutely "Pink".... Thursday morning drug on... I found myself holding my phone close for any communication come from St. Joe Missouri.... Ethan and Kylie kept calling and texting..any word? yet? At 1:30 my phone did ring and with great anticipation I answered the call... and sure enough Cori in her playful way let me know everything was great! The baby was healthy, active and smiling... We were laughing and crying when she told me, "Mom, Brett was right... we are having a "GIRL" and the tears continued to fall. Cori took Brett to lunch to celebrate "his being right"... funny how daddy's just know especially when it comes to their little girls...

My heart was filled with so many emotions.. First the overwhelming feeling of gratitude. To know that Cori is finally starting to feel better and the baby is healthy and growing strong is a blessing. One of the hard things for me is living so far way and not being able help her as she has been so sick or to see the physical changes at occur on a weekly basis so Brett snapped a precious photo (the only photo I have seen) of Cori and sent it to me. It was so fun to see her showing, smiling and giving me "2-thumbs up". Second knowing this little one will be blessed with amazing parents who have meticulously planned for her and her arrival, providing a home filled with love, a strong foundation and endless possibility and opportunities.. and finally.. coming to the magical realization that I am entering into a most cherished season in my life... A Grandmother...

It's amazing to me how quickly time passes. I have gone from being at home with 4 kids to have three grown and on their own... and just Ethan left for a moment.. Ethan is looking forward to high school graduation in May and moving towards his dream.. Time keeps moving.. and now here I am with my life ahead of me filled with countless possibilities. My sweet mom once told me she enjoyed her 50's and 60's the very most, understandably so... as a mother you start to reap the rewards of your parenting as you see your children go out into the world. For me.. this has been a most rewarding experience..

My dad picked me up from school on Thursday.. As I shared the news with him.. we both laughed... he could reflect on his two experiences of once being a father and second being a grandfather... now he is going to be a great grandfather. Today I am going to see my mom and share Cori's great news. I know how excited my mom will be. I am very grateful to have experienced seeing my mom in her role of being a grandmother. She was an excellent teacher and loved every minute of having her grandchildren around her... her lessons are now going to influence yet another generation.

My best friends have planned a "Baby Shower" and celebration for Cori in the next couple of weeks. We will all come together to celebrate life, love and possibility.

Today is absolutely Pink bliss...

No comments: