Saturday, July 3, 2010

Henli Grace Albers, June 21, 2010

Nine long months had finally passed. There were many discouraging moments of sickness, driving to doctor visits, dehydration and all around misery. There were moments of great joy, when the sickness subsided, hearing a tiny heartbeat and feeling flutters and movement for the first time. The last few weeks were difficult, sleepless nights, swollen feet and the anticipation of Henli's arrival.

On June 21, 2010 we all woke up early and headed for St. Joseph's Heartland Hospital. It was a gorgeous morning, clear blue skies, lush green rolling fields and a light mist hovering over Maryville. The drive would take 30 minutes. Cori was quiet, I understand her thoughts, concerns and excitement, I have been there. Having the opportunity to spend the week prior to Henli's arrival with Cori was special. Kylie and I had talked about this for months. Today we were going to have the precious experience of helping bring Henli into the world.

Once we arrived at the hospital, Cori checked in and was assigned a room. Once she was changed, her nurse came into to introduce himself and explain what was going to happen as they started her IV's.

It was hard to watch Cori has her pains and labor grew more intense. Cori is a strong women, she never complained about anything. Brett was such a great support for her. The two make such a great team. Within 6 hours Henli would arrive.

At 3:14 pm Miss Henli Grace Albers arrived. She was healthy, strong and letting the us know, she wasn't happy with being cold, the glare of the bright lights and being weighed and measured. The experience of being in the room with Cori, Brett, Kylie and the hospital staff was the most incredible experience to date. There are no words to describe how spiritual and profound holding your precious new grand baby is. Hearing her first cry, watching to see her parents respond and her mommy knowing exactly what she needs is amazing.

One of the great privileges of my life was to be present for Henli's birth. To watch my daughter bond with her little daughter is extraordinary. The feeling of passing the baton of motherhood to your daughter and knowing she has prepared herself well is one of the greatest blessings of my life. Watching Kylie hold little Henli as tears rolled down her face. Monday June 21, 2010 was extraordinary.

Cori also had the support of her dad, Greg and his wife Ann and her sister Grace. It was so nice to have them drive over and share this special day with Brett, Cori and Henli. Greg and I had the opportunity to reflect back on Cori's short 25 years on the planet and share treasured moments. Ann has been such a good mother to Cori as well. Cori has a very special love for Ann. It was so nice to all be there sharing in this special time.

A new baby who comes from heaven above, with hope, love and promise. Her sweet little spirit drew every one of us in. There were not enough minutes in the day to hold her. We all took turns in changing, burping, walking, rocking, loving, kissing, holding and admiring Miss Henli. We all laughed when she stretched and smiled. We all admired her dimples, blue eyes and itty bitty long fingers. Henli captivated everyone of us. Just her presence brings warmth, love and unity.

Kylie and I also had the great opportunity to spend time with Brett's parents. We so enjoyed our week end with them. Deb and Lloyd are two of the finest people on the planet.. Brett and Cori are so blessed to have such good supportive family so close. Griffin, Jackie and Ethan called daily for their updates, new photo's and video clips to hear Henli's little voice. After calling the boys after Henli's birth, I called Laura and we shared another milestone in our 30 year friendship. There have been many hard times and many more good times... Laura and I have shared, births of our own children, engagements, weddings, baby showers and now the birth of Henli. Debbie another cherished friend was one of the first to share in my good news. My dear friend Karen provided a buddy passes for Kylie and I to fly on. Karen was so helpful and joyful as I shared our great news. I heard from so many dear friends who are already grandparents... so they understand what a great 'club' I have entered into. Griffin and Ethan asked me if it was strange to be called 'grama'.... No I told them... it's wonderful. I also asked my children if they would multiply and replenish my earth... I could get really used to lots of grandchildren....

As I have pondered my life, the amazing children and opportunities I have been blessed with, I can only credit my father in heaven. Thank you dear Lord for your continued watch over my little flock, the infinite blessings I enjoy every day, the close relationships I cherish with my children, my dear friends, health, strength, the opportunity to complete my education, meeting the right people at the right time... Understanding my divine purpose. My heart is overflowing. I am so blessed.

Griffin, Jackie, Cori, Brett, Henli, Kylie and Ethan...Thank you for your love, unconditional support and inspiration... Together we have it all.

I love you all Mom....

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

So sweet! You are so blessed to have a wonderful and healthy family! xoxo!